Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy 4th of July!! This definitely wasn't a holiday I expected to see much of down here, but it has been such a blast so far. In the CTM, for every country that missionaries represent they will do something for and sing the National Anthem. So last night we sang the Star Spangled Banner as postlude for devotional. It was a really neat experience. Today for lunch after getting back from the Temple was soo much fun. They decorated the entire cafeteria with balloon boquets, streamers, the workers were wearing big glasses and hats, and we had so much fun. They had made cheeseburgers, french fries, potatoes, and Ice Cream. We decided it was the best ice cream we have ever had, but its been 9 weeks since any of us have had any, so who knows. But it was soo much fun! Everyone has color coordinated with their companions for red, white, and blue. Tonight there is a soccer game between a team from Argentina and the Sao Paulo team, which is apparently a HUGE deal. People have already been setting off fireworks and selling flags for the teams and its only 1:20. No matter which way the game goes people will be crazy tonight. We're apparently not too far from the stadium, and on multiple occasions we have woken up to yelling and fireworks and what sounds like gun shots. Are first time waking up it was rather errie. Our teachers say there are normally riots and stuff after, so we'll see if we sleep tonight. It's not like its happening too close to the CTM (don't worry Mom) but its close enough that we hear a lot of the noise.
This week we went Proselyting!!!! It was soo amazing, I loved it. It was rather overwhelming language wise. I normally understood what we were talking about, but not the specifics all the time. But I was able to bear my testimony and it was so amazing just talking to people! Our companionship placed 7 Books of Mormon and our District 31 books. It is so amazing to walk down a street and know that the Gospel could change and bless everyone's life. The people are so amazing and so loving here. Even if people aren't interested or busy they still normally took the time to shake our hands. When I talk to people about the Gospel, I can feel the love that God has for them. I know this Gospel is true, and I can't wait to share it with them! There was one lady we talked to for a while who was at a park with her two young children. She said God is important to her, but its hard to make it with her young children. It was such a neat experience to talk to her. I was able to talk to her about my 3 year old niece Sariah, and how she is learning about the Gospel. She knows that she has a Heavenly Father who loves her! She prays to her Heavenly Father and she is learning how to make good choices. (My two other beautiful nieces are\will be learning the same things). What an amazing Gospel this is, that can bless everyone's life!
One more story about Sariah. We were having fun eating dinner with some Brazilian sisters. I was able to tell them I felt like my 3 year old niece when I talk in Portuguese. Which they found rather amusing. I try to just jump in, and I have seen God's hand in helping me speak Portuguese. We are learning learning and learning Portuguese. I love the language, and hope that I will still love the language as we jump in this week! We leave for the field Tuesday Morning, i have no idea what time, but there are lots of Missionaries who leave the CTM before 5 am. I do know I will be travelling with one American Elder, the rest will be Brazilians. Who I love, but the language barrier is still rather apparent, particularly on conversational vocab. But I am excited and eager for the field. I know that I will be guided and watched over by my Heavenly Father. I don't know a lot about Londrina, but I have found out that my Mission President does not speak English. My teacher has been talking a lot about the big spiders in Londrina... So I'll give an update on that later.
President and Sister Call leave tomorrow for home, in Pleasant Grove Utah. President Call was our branch President here at the CTM. He and his wife have been serving a medical mission here in Brazil. I don't remember what kind of doctor he was, but I know it was something to do with Arthritis and stuff. Anyways they have been such a sweet couple and have loved having them here at the CTM. She (as well as all the other Sister Leaders) always make sure to give us sisters hugs on Sundays. Sunday after church, she had made our district, and others Im sure, brownies. She told us lots of stories about the missions in Brazil and they even sang us a Brazilian lullaby.
On Sunday, as Fast Sunday, we had mission conference which was really good. I loved a quote from one of the speakers, "Excellence is not a feat, but a habbit." That is something that I am trying to learn, is practice, practice, practice and lots of studying on top of that.
I'm not sure if we get to email home before we leave for the field. We leave on Tuesday and our P-day is Wednesday, so not sure if you'll hear from me or not.
Love you all!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment