Wednesday, October 31, 2012

We received letters from Laura today. 


To Paula and Jay she said:  "I'm so proud of Hannah walking.  That's really cool that Jay got to be the person she took her first steps for.  It sounds like she is still an incredibly happy baby and spreading sunshine to those around her.  When Katrina sent her package she included a note about getting to hold Hannah during Relief Scoeity when you were teaching.  Everyone loves this girl!  :)"

"I hope the house hunting is going good.  I'm sure you're staying busy with that & Paula said basketball season started up again - how's that going?  (Both of our son's-in-laws play on the same basketball team)

We're staying busy and working hard with our investigators.  It was 91 degrees the other day and it's only springtime.  But I can tell I'm adapting because before I knew the temp I remember thinking 'it's not too hot today'.  The nice thing is we almost always have a little wind.  But people say there isn't much wind during summer when it's hot.  Haha.  So vamos ver!  We will see!

I read a talk this week on the "Missionary Work and the Atonement" by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I read a quote that I love.  He said "Anyone who does any kind of missionary work will have occasion to ask why this is so hard?  Why can't our success be more rapid?  Why aren't there more people going to church?  Why isn't the only risk in missionary work that of pneumonia from being soaking wet all day and all night in the baptismal font?  ...I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience.  Salvation never was easy...  How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never ever easy for Him?  It seems to me that missionaries and mission leaders have to spend at least a few moments in Gethsemane..."

It's a long quote, but I loved this part.  "We have amazing investigators that we have great visions for, but sometimes they don't progress or show interest like we want for them.  We have to remember that everyone has agency and that change is hard.  But the rewards and blessings that comes through true conversion are so great and full of happiness.  The work is hard, but the fruits of the labor are so special."

P-day is almost spent."

Love you all!!
Laura/Sister Bullen


To Floyd, I and Family she wrote:

"Mom I'm glad you enjoyed Conference and hope the rest of the family enjoyed it too.  I forgot to write about my thoughts of the age change in my email.  It was exciting to hear in Conference that women in the church will be able to serve missions at the age of 19.  It's strange to think that in a few months my companion could be 20 or 19.  I've been the youngest missionary I've known.  Sister Matiaco and Sister Bradley in the CTM were 23 and 24 (or maybe 22 and 23) and the sisters in our house are 23, 24, & 25.  I know in the CTM I started to understand why it could be easier for Sisters to be a few years older than the Elders.  It's going to be interesting to see how the number of missionaries serving will change.

It was fun to read that Mom visited Sister Empey's Mother.  The Sisters here in the house thought that was really cool, too.  It sounds like you had a really good time visiting family in Washington. 

(In response to my enquiries, she wrote.)   If you want to look at sandals that might be something cool.  I had bright green sandals I bought for Thailand that Kaitlyn H. borrowed for a trip to Jerusalem.  I probably don't want the same ones because we're supposed to have more conservative colored shoes.  But if you get the sandals you could see what size they are.  Maybe some black ones would be awesome.  But I don't know if it would be difficult to look for.  But sandals would be great for the heat.  Nothing too fancy, but with arch support.  I'm really glad I bought Dansko shoes.  I think they've made a big difference.  The other Sisters here (1 with the same amount of time as I) have pain in their feet from wearing flats (which is probably what most Sister missionaries in the world probably wear).  But I also do some ab workouts to strengthen my abs, which also strengthens your back.  And I pray for the forces that I need to work hard.  I'm grateful that my back and neck are doing good.  Actually improved since when I was companions with S. Empey.  But I've been blessed and want to do my part to do all I can to have good health, too.

With lots of love,

Laura/Sister Bullen


I also had a very sweet letter from Laura's companion, Sister P.  Laura is teaching the Portuguese Sisters English and her companion wrote in Portuguese and had Laura translate into English. It is so easy to understand why Laura has admired and loved all of her companions both at the CTM and in the mission field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment